Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What’s Possible?


This is my favorite question that Lisa, my business partner, asks me with some regularity. It’s her way of getting me out of my own way because usually I’m the one worrying about how to make it work before I consider what’s possible.  That was Steve Job’s gift -- the quintessential storyteller.  He saw possibilities where others saw roadblocks. 

It’s a question that storytellers love to tackle.  And it’s the heart of innovation.  Imagine the conversation when Jobs first concepted an iPad.  I certainly wasn’t privy to it, but I can only imagine it went something like this.

“Wouldn’t it be amazing if we could make the printed word come to life with the touch of a finger?”

Then there would be the worrier (like me.)  “Yes, and it would be great if pigs could fly.”  My guess is that he then proceeded to tell the worrier a story about how no one could imagine “lightning in a bottle” before Thomas Edison created the lightbulb.

Stories can create magic and make people believe in ”What’s Possible” because they show us that others have faced situations like ours and come up with game changing solutions.  

Gotta go call Lisa – I’m worried she’s wondering what’s possible again!

-Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment