Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Tantalizing Story Starters

Over dinner the other night, my friend Jill was telling me about a letter they received the other day at the radio station where she works.  A listener wrote in to the station about how one song they had played saved her marriage.  Expressing my amazement, she told me that it was not unusual at all.  In fact, she said they got thousands of letters everyday about how music inspired people to make big life changing decisions.  Then we were interrupted and both of us were pulled into other conversations.

So here I am two weeks later on a plane home from Dublin where I’ve met new people, seen new sites, and all I can think of is “What was the song?” How did it change her?  What happened before and after in her marriage? How could a three minute conversation captivate me with so little?

This is the power of story – she had me at “One Song.”  She had gotten me “started with story” and my brain kept playing it over and over looking for the next story byte.  A good lesson for those of who need to learn how to tantalize an audience and keep them coming back for more.  Can’t wait to call Jill when we land.

-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment