Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

What’s your trademark?


A trademark image works faster and harder to communicate than hundreds of words. Some are iconic and well known – the Nike swoosh.  The Apple white earbuds.  But other images can do the work of hundreds of words and can be leveraged in everything from personal selling to corporate presentations. The visual imprints stereotypes on the wearer or the presenter that may or may not be true.  But they are all part of the story. 

Standing in a customs line in London the other day, I met a gentleman wearing cowboy boots and a t-shirt advertising a marathon recently completed (according to the dates).  In an instant, I knew he was U.S. based.  I also surmised from his soft drawl he was from the South (turned out to be Texas), disciplined (I can’t run a half marathon) and wealthy (custom boot details gave it away).  I immediately decided I was interested in talking to him, having inferred he was creative and confident, interesting and successful. If you want to communicate something in a flash, understand the stereotypes associated with a visual image and use it to your advantage. 

-Julie

1 comment:

  1. Talking my language! "Personal Branding Through Appearance". Not about fashion, about being memorable in a way that is sustainable for you and speaks to your intended audience. Bingo! Well surmised.

    ReplyDelete